Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Architectures for the Future Networks and the Next Generation Internet: A Survey

Architectures for the Future Networks and the Next Generation Internet: A Survey, Subharthi Paul, Jianli Pan, Raj Jain, Washington University in St Louis Technical Report, 2009-69.

This survey attempts to cover possible architectures for the future network. It is very relevant to me, since I had at one point the intent of putting together a similar technical report. And after reading this one, I realize that I could still do it: while this paper covers a lot of ground, much of the papers I read on the topic don't overlap with this: it is such a wide topic to cover that only 60 pages and 200 references don't seem to do it justice!

The survey contains basically eight sections, one on the Internet 3.0 vision at WUSTL, and one each on security, content delivery, DTNs, management and control, service architectures, routing, and future Internet infrastructure design. I was interested mostly in the management & control, routing and future Internet design (GENI). I could use this as a reference in those fields, as it contains a lot of the must-read papers and it explains in great details the different control frameworks for GENI.

No comments: